WAMA News - 12-31-2010

The most recent email newsletters.

WAMA News - 12-31-2010

Postby askmike » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Happy 2011 from WAMA!
Wishing you a prosperous and rewarding New Year wherever your musical endeavors take you.

The end of 2010 finds WAMA preparing for the 25th Annual Wammies Award Show. The official ballot will be sent out next week. We hope that you will join us on Feb. 22nd as we celebrate not only the accomplishments of our wonderful Washington area music scene, but also 25 years of Wammies award shows.

At this crucial time in our fiscal year, please give what you can support WAMA with your tax-deductible gifts. Thanks to all of you who have renewed your memberships and made charitable contributions to sustain and grow WAMA’s programs. We couldn't do it without you.

Please click http://www.wamadc.com/wama/make_a_donation.html to help out, or mail a check to WAMA, 6263 Occoquan Forest Dr., Manassas, VA 20112.

National Music News

Sony Launches Music Streaming Service
http://encore.celebrityaccess.com/index ... leId=37629

"Sony Corp. on Wednesday launched a music streaming service in a bid to boost sales of its consumer electronics and break Apple's dominance of the online music business."

Daryl Davis and Berry picking

By Sport Murphy
Posted: 10:12 PM, December 25, 2010
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/m ... DBDJNTyqUP

He may be The Boss, but back in 1973, Bruce Springsteen was taking direction from Chuck Berry as his pickup guitarist.

"I was standing right there at the University of Maryland when Bruce Springsteen first met Chuck," recalls keyboardist Daryl Davis. "At the time, nobody knew who [he] was."

Springsteen, hired back then as ad hoc accompanist for the college concert, nervously asked Berry, "What songs are we gonna do?"

"We're gonna do some Chuck Berry songs," Berry replied as he hit the stage.

Local Notes

The Songwriters' Association of Washington (SAW) has announced the winners of the 27th Annual Mid-Atlantic Song Contest. The full list can be found at http://www.saw.org.

SoulStice & Wade Waters donated $800 to the Make it Right Foundation from purchases of their latest single, "Do Something." http://www.wadewaters.com http://www.makeitrightnola.org/index.ph ... _progress/

Maryland native and Electronic music pioneer BT has been nominated for his first Grammy Award for Best Electronic Album for his latest two-disc "These Hopeful Machines."

Brian Franke
's debut album, "Six Blocks Down", got a review in On Tap Magazine.

Workshops

Common Ground on the Hill Winter Jam Classes
with instructor Christopher James
Mondays January 3rd thru February 21, 2011
in the Leidy Room in Decker College Center,McDaniel College campus, Westminster, MD
$160.00 per 8 week session
To Register for classes: http://www.commongroundonthehill.org/jam_classes.html email cgothregistrar@yahoo.com, or call 410-857-2771

Join the Jam (Beginner level) Mondays, 6:15 pm - 7:15 pm
This class is for singers and instrumentalists who would like to develop the skills needed to make music with other musicians. The class is open to guitar, mandolin, banjo, ukulele, bass, harmonica players and singers. Those with questions about other instruments fitting in are welcome to contact the instructor before registering (Common Ground Office: 410-857-2771). Instrumentalists should be able to play and switch between some basic chords on their instrument. The goals of the class will be to get people playing together (and ending together), to learn some blues, folk and international songs that are fun to play, to learn how to lead a tune, and to learn how to listen and find one's place in a group.

What Can You Add to the Jam?
(Intermediate level) Mondays, 7:30pm - 8:30pm
This class is for singers and instrumentalists who have experience playing at jam sessions, with friends or in bands and want to take their playing to the next level. The class is open to guitar, mandolin, banjo, ukulele, bass, harmonica players and singers. Those who have questions about other instruments fitting in are welcome to contact the instructor before registering. (Common Ground office: 410-857-2771) Instumentalists should be familiar with chords in a few different keys, some scales and basic improvising. The goals of this class will be to find different rhythmic ways to add to a song, to find new places to play chords with and without a capo, to develop solos and fills, to learn some blues, folk and international songs, to learn to lead a tune better, to learn about different ways to arrange a tune and to improve students' ability to listen and play with other musicians.

Two-Day SAW/BSA Songwriting Workshop with Bob Franke
Saturday-Sunday January 15-16, 2011
Pikesville, MD (private home)
Fee: $45 SAW/BSA members,$50 WAMA/NSAI/BMI members,$55 non-members
Advance registration is required. All genres welcome
Register for the workshop online at http://www.saw.org or e-mail workshops@saw.org for more information.
This workshop is a two-afternoon session, beginning at 1:00 p.m. each day, with each session lasting 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Is your songwriting stuck? Having writer's block? Maybe you keep composing the same song over and over again? Bob Franke's unique approach blasts through those mental walls, getting you past those obstacles and on your way to writing better songs. Bob will interview each student and give an individualized assignment to help overcome perceived obstacles. On the second day, the real lessons of rhyme, meter, etc. come into play as each song is examined and critiqued.

Bob Franke will perform at a house concert at the same location as the workshop on Saturday evening from 8-10 pm, presented by Sudbrood Park House Concerts (Reservations recommended. Requested donation to the artist: $15). For information and directions to the workshop/house concert call 410-753-2351

New Releases

The Independent has a new EP and a release concert at Jammin' Java, Vienna, Va on Saturday January 8th at 6:30 pm. $10 advance/ $13 day of show http://www.myspace.com/theindependentva

Danny Schwartz has recorded a DC Young Artist Collaborative Track that's a cover of the Pretenders tune "2000 Miles." The young artists on the recording include: Victoria Vox, Phillips Saylor frontman of Stripmall Ballads, Alex Vans solo artist and guitarist for Justin Jones, Kevin Skolnik new up and comer, and Jean Finstad bassist for Justin Trawick. http://dhssound.com/2000Miles.html

Blix Street has posthumously released a new Eva Cassidy CD titled "Simply Eva." http://www.blixstreet.com

The Curbfeelers have a new CD, "Grit 'N' Groove." Available at their website, http://www.thecurbfeelers.com, as well as iTunes, Amazon, and Napster.

Classifieds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stanley Durbin needs an engineer or someone with Cubase and Sequel knowledge to help him move the files that he's using, so that he can record at other studios, or to come and record him at his studio. Contact him at: honestman@aol.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Curtain

Dr. Billy Taylor

Jazz great Billy Taylor dies at 89 Billy Taylor
Jazz great Billy Taylor, pianist, educator & media personality, dies at 89
By Matt Schudel

"Billy Taylor, one of the musical treasures of Washington and the world, died last night, Dec. 28, at a hospital in New York City. He was 89 and died of a heart attack.

Dr. Taylor, as he was known to one and all, was a first-rate jazz pianist who grew up in Washington and was a graduate of Dunbar High School. He moved to New York in the early 1940s and was present at the birth of bebop, the new vernacular of music that transformed jazz. He played alongside Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis and became a protege of the greatest jazz pianist ever, Art Tatum..."

Dave Giegerich
By Diana Quinn

Dave Giegerich, a revered dobro and steel guitar player and beloved musician, died on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 from complications connected to aplastic anemia. He had successfully beaten neck cancer in 2007 but the blood disease was discovered a year later. Dave was 57.

Dave was a giant in the DC music scene, and he was loved for his wit, intelligence, easygoing and accepting manner, and generous heart. His main instrument was the dobro or resophonic guitar, but he also excelled at pedal steel, lap steel, electric mandolin, and, as he used to say, “other pieces of wood with strings.” In 1988, Dave founded the multiple-Wammie award winning band The Hula Monsters, which plays many styles including swing, country, jazz standards and Hawaiian tunes. He also performed and recorded with many bands and artists including Bill Harrell and the Virginians, Eva Cassidy, Bill Kirchen and Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer. He was a band leader but he was also the quintessential sideman, tastefully accompanying other musicians, but absolutely taking the stage during his solos.

Dave was born on March 15, 1953, in Chicago, Illinois and moved with his family to South Haven, Michigan in 1962. He came from a musical family and started playing guitar in the early 1970s. A year or two later, he made his first slide guitar by sticking a pencil between his guitar’s nut and its strings. Dave went to Michigan State University for a few years before dropping out because of music (He went back to school later to get his bachelor’s degree from the University of Maryland Baltimore Campus). In the late 1970s, Dave moved to Fredericksburg, VA, where his brother Steve was a reporter. Steve, who was Dave’s bone marrow and blood donor, said, “He immediately became immersed in the bluegrass scene. I was a reporter writing high profile stores and a column, but within six months I became Dave Giegerich’s brother.” Dave met his wife Pam in Fredericksburg and they lived in Chapel Hill, NC and Florida before moving the DC area in the early 1980s.

With two children, Dave was a stay-at-home dad, and he spent every free minute practicing. His brother said, “He would play gigs at night and he would practice hours a day. That was his whole life; you never saw Dave without a guitar or dobro in his hand. That was the background music to his life, literally, and he got better and better. He got to the point where everyone knew him and he was giving lessons and playing with everyone in town… He lived to play music and he played music until the very end. He and (his son) Carter were jamming on Christmas day.”

Hula Monsters band mate Mark Noone met Dave in the late 1980s and in 1991 started playing with him in the country band Out Behind the Barn. He said, “He was the funniest guy I ever played with. And he was amazing in that every time I played with him he was a little bit better than the last time. That’s all he wanted to do – was play. We’d be on the road in some hotel and he’d get out his dobro and tell me to get out my guitar and play. He was a true musician in every sense of the word, and then some. For him it was all about music and playing.” Mark said that a few moths ago, when Dave was in the hospital, “I told him, you have a lot of people who love you and are worried about you and he said, ‘I don’t want anyone to worry about me…I’ve had a great life and look what I got to do – I got to play music with my friends and my heroes.’ He was very comfortable with himself and very happy with what he had.”

Guitarist, singer and songwriter Bill Kirchen, who knew Dave for close to 20 years, said, “I lost my wonderful pal Dave…and it has caused me to double my resolve to cherish the living…He was a great combination of one of my favorite guys to see – to talk to – and he was just a fantastic player. I used to marvel at how did he get that good. And he was real supportive of other people’s playing. We did 13 years of Hank Williams tribute shows at the Birchmere…and we were expecting him to make this 14th.

Hula Monsters band mate Moe Nelson said, “Dave would surely have a dry one-liner to capture what we cannot say. He fought the good fight, and I really thought he would pull through this, especially with the incredible support from family and friends. But - the human body is as fragile as the human spirit is resilient. Mahalo nui loa, and Aloha 'oe, Dave.”

Asked why Dave started the Hula Monsters, his brother said, “He thought that Hawaiian music was the purest form of music. One time we were on a long car trip and he had this Hawaiian music in the car and that’s when he said Hawaiian music was the purest form of music. I said, ‘Are you telling me that this is purer than Bach, or other classical composers?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, they had outside influences, but how could you influence anyone who lived on an island?’ And I had to agree.”

Dave’s family plans to hold a celebration of Dave’s life and music on January 15 at the Maryland State Boychoir Center for the Arts (3400 Norman Avenue, Baltimore, MD) at 2pm followed by a huge jam session. He is survived by his wife Pam and two children, Axel (22) and Carter (23); his father, Raymond Giegerich of South Haven, Michigan; Two brothers and a sister.

WAMA Hall of Fame Flashback:

Rosslyn Mountain Boys

The Rosslyn Mt. Boys (RMB) began in 1973 when Joe Triplet and Happy Acosta, both of the D.C. hippie/counterculture band Claude Jones, started performing as an acoustic duo at the 21st Amendment, a bar on Pennsylvania Avenue. At the time, Joe and Happy, along with Jay Sprague (also in Claude Jones,) lived on the Amoeba Farm in Warrenton with Nils Lofgren & Grin.

The RMB made a decision to go electric and invited Peter Bonta of The Nighthawks to join as bass player, along with Bob Berberich (from Grin) on drums . Tommy Hannum on pedal-steel guitar, who had been working with Emmy Lou Harris in her D.C. days, rounded out the band and theRMBwere set. When Jay Sprague also came aboard from Claude Jones, Peter was able to move over to keyboards and guitar.

The country rock band played regularly at the original Birchmere. The band's height of popularity was in the mid-1970s, when it played frequently at Desperado's in Georgetown, the County Line in Arlington, the Psyche Delly in Bethesda, The Childe Harold, Mr. Henry's-Tenley Circle, and the mid-Atlantic college circuit from Virginia to Pennsylvania. Their first album 'The Rosslyn Mt. Boys' was released in 1977 on Gene Rosenthal's Adelphi label and was a regional and European best-seller. The band opened for headliners including Emmylou Harris, Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Vassar Clements, Bill Anderson, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Buck Owens.

The RMB called it quits in 1979, reuniting briefly for the release of their second album, 'Lone Outsider,' produced by David Briggs, Neil young's long-time producer, and released in 1981 on Schizophonic Records.

Peter went on to become a member of Artful Dodger before opening Wally Cleaver's Recording in Fredericksburg, VA.

Tommy Hannum relocated to Nashville and was Ricky Van Shelton's band leader/steel player and is an in-demand session player; he's currently on tour with Clay Walker.

Peter Bonta and Rico Petrocelli, the last RMB bassist, went on to record and tour with Mary Chapin Carpenter.

Bob Berberich recently reunited with Nils Lofgren at the Grin reunion concert and he still drums for several DC area musicians, notably Cathy Ponton King.

Joe Triplett is a gentleman farmer, living on his farm near the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia and still writing timeless classics.

Although the band was officially defunct, the members occasionally gathered for reunion gigs. Although Hannum was in Nashville, he collaborated with the band on a CD that was released in 2006, 'Different Skyline,' on Sosumi Records.

http://www.rosslynmountainboys.
askmike
Site Admin

Return to WAMA Mini News